By Jeremy B. Love, Immigration Attorney
January 30, 2016
With the ever important presidential elections looming in November, permanent residents need to begin the naturalization process now if they want to have a say in who our next president will be.
The future of issues such as Deferred Action of Childhood Arrivals (DACA) and the use of immigration raids rests in the hands of the president elected this November.  Only US citizens can vote for president and the naturalization process can take several months, so I recommend beginning the process by the end of February.
Who’s Eligible?
The naturalization process is available to legal permanent residents who have been residents (green card holders) for at least four years and nine months.  That requirement is two years and nine months if married to a US citizen.  Potential applicants must be at least eighteen years of age and show good moral character.
By Paul Sloderbeck, Immigration Attorney

October 07, 2015

I know many Lawful Permanent Residents who have worked a long time to obtain their LPR status. Therefore, it is important that they do whatever they can to avoid losing it.

Certain crimes can make a person deportable from the United States. Some Legal Permanent Residents are surprised to learn that time spent outside the United States may lead to a finding that they have abandoned their Legal Permanent Resident status.

Some Residents mistakenly believe that as long as they return to the United States every six months or every year, they won’t lose their status. Others may think that a trip abroad over a year will guarantee that they lose their status. The issue is not quite so black and white.

By Paul Sloderbeck, Immigration Attorney
September 09, 2015

Many immigrants have United States Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident family members who have petitioned for them, but they have entered the United States without a visa. This often means they have to leave the United States and go to an interview at the Consulate in their home country before returning as a Legal Permanent Resident.

At the Consulate, they are often told they have a ten year bar for having entered and remained in the United States illegally.

However, if your spouse or parent is a US citizen or Permanent Resident, there may be a waiver available, which would allow you to not have to wait ten years for an Immigrant Visa.

1207761By Jeremy B. Love, Immigration Attorney
September 01, 2015

As an immigration attorney, I often receive questions from members of the community about the 10 Year Law or the 10-Year Visa.

There exists a lot of confusion about this issue due to the complicated nature of immigration law as well as inaccuracies spread by non-immigration attorneys, including notarios.

So, here is the answer to the question, “does the 10-Year Law even exist?”.

The short answer is no, there is no 10 Year Law.  Well, where did this idea come from?

Well, there is a defense to deportation called Cancellation of Removal, that among other requirements, includes ten years residing in the US. 

3805418By: Paul Sloderbeck, Immigration Attorney
June 10, 2015

You’ve fallen in love and married the person you want to spend the rest of your life with. They also happen to be a United States Citizen. Some people wrongly believe that marriage to a United States Citizen will be a quick fix to their immigration problems. While for many married couples, there is a path to permanent residency for the immigrant spouse, the reality is often a little more complicated. To begin with, let me ask you a few questions.

Did you enter the United States with a Visa?

If you entered the United States with a Visa, such as a Tourist Visa, Border Crossing Card, Student Visa, or a Work Visa, you may be able to apply for permanent residency from within the United States. This is called Adjustment of Status. Your Citizen spouse can petition for you and you can apply for Permanent Residency all in one-step.

9703095By Paul Sloderbeck, Immigration Attorney
November 11, 2014

Mexican authorities may have recently captured and charged the drug lord Hector Beltran Leyva, but the drug war continues to affect much of the country. The Zetas and the Sinaloa cartel have made inroads into Guatemala, and alongside the Mara Salvatrucha they threaten the way of life of many across Central America.

What chance do young men with few options have when faced with pressure to join these gangs? They may encounter intense threats and isolation, which spurs their decision to flee to the United States. Once in the United States, one possible form of immigration relief may be asylum, but it is a long and difficult road to get approval.

3329445By Jeremy B. Love, Immigration Attorney
July 18, 2014

The rising number of children being detained at the Southern border has garnered national attention and left many people wondering what to do about the issue.

There are a number of reasons that so many unaccompanied children, primarily from Central America, have been attempting to come to the US including poverty in their home countries, threats by gangs, and lack of police protection.