We are here to help you!

Humanitarian Immigration Cases

U visas (Victims of Crime)

U Visa is an immigration option for those who were victims of certain serious crimes (such as domestic violence or felonious assault). If you or someone you know was a victim of a serious crime in the US, you may be eligible for a U Visa.  Here are the basics on U Visa.

In order to qualify, victims must show:

  • They suffered as a result of one of the designated qualifying crimes
  • The crime occurred in the US
  • They assisted law enforcement (a police report must have been made by the victim)

Benefits of applying for U Visa include employment authorization and a path to permanent residency. Additionally, an applicant may also obtain U visas for his/her spouse and minor children. If you or a family member suffered due to being a victim of a crime, please call our office to discuss the possibility of a U Visa with one of our experienced immigration attorneys.

    Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)

    A Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) self-petition is an option specifically for victims of domestic violence who are married or were married within the last two years to a US citizen or permanent resident. VAWA is also an option for abused parents of adult US citizens and abused children of US citizens or permanent residents. Both men and women are eligible to file for VAWA.

    Have you or someone you know suffered at the hands of their US citizen or permanent resident spouse? Do you feel trapped with no way out because you fear losing your immigration options by leaving your abusive significant other?  Please call our office for further information and to book an appointment to speak with one of our skilled immigration attorneys.

    Temporary Protected Status (TPS)

    TPS is a process available to persons who come from countries whose conditions have ongoing conflict or natural disaster. In situations such as these, the Department of Homeland Security may temporarily designate certain countries with TPS status which allows immigrants from those countries to stay in the US and obtain work permits. If you or someone you know is coming from a country that has experienced such crisis and unrest and has been designated a country that has been extended TPS status, please reach out to our firm for additional details, and to arrange a consultation with one of our experienced immigration lawyers.

    Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

    Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) provides certain individuals with the ability to request deferred action. Deferred action protects you from being placed in removal proceedings and affords the ability to obtain a work permit for a specified period of time unless terminated. You may request DACA if you meet the following guidelines:

    • You came to the United States before your 16th birthday
    • You were born after June 15, 1981
    • You are at least 15 years old
    • You have continuously resided in the U.S. since June 15, 2007, up to the present time
    • You were physically present in the U.S. on June 15, 2012
    • You were undocumented as of June 15, 2012
    • You are currently in school, have graduated or obtained your certificate of completion from high school, or you are an honorable discharged veteran of the U.S. Coast Guard or Armed Forces
    • You have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, or three or more misdemeanors

    Due to ongoing litigation, at the present time, the government is only allowing those who currently have DACA to apply for renewals of their deferred action. However, if you would like to speak with an experienced immigration attorney regarding your options and for more information regarding DACA, please call our office for more information.

    Advance Parole

    Individuals with certain immigrations statuses, such as DACA and TPS, may be eligible to apply for advance parole. Advance parole is a travel document that allows someone to travel outside of the United States and return without losing their immigration status.

    For DACA recipients that entered the U.S. without a lawful entry, this is an opportunity to visit a loved one who is sick or pay your respects, and also return with a valid entry. Other important travel reasons such as work, study abroad, or medical procedures may also qualify someone for Advance Parole.

    If you’re married to a U.S. citizen or have a U.S. citizen child over 21, re-entering the U.S. with Advance Parole could pave the way for you to adjust your status and become a legal permanent resident. Please contact our office to see if Advance Parole may be an option for you and for more information about paths to permanent residence.